- Technical Academies of Minnesota
- Our Promise
The mission of TAM is to provide a student-directed learning environment that is challenging, democratic, reflective, joyful, and hopeful. Students' unique developmental needs and capacities are appreciated and every student is valued as a whole human being—heart, mind, body, and soul.
TAM is where every student learns, discovers, creates, and inspires to make the world a better place.
- Students take responsibility and personalize their learning by developing a Personal Learning Plan and demonstrating mastery, which increases student engagement and the effectiveness of students’ learning experiences in general.
- Students engage in authentic, meaningful learning opportunities.
- Through Project-Based Learning, students acquire deeper knowledge by actively exploring real-world challenges and problems as they design projects that meet the state standards.
- Students understand their role as patrons in a global society and strive to contribute to the betterment of their world.
- Employing an individualized approach, students explore their passions and are critically engaged with the content for the purpose of transforming their lives and the lives of those with whom they live, work, and play.
21st Century Skills
- Students develop meaningful learning, literacy, and life skills. Honing these essential skills complements students’ academic achievements and can increase opportunities for success in a rapidly changing, digital world where learning never stops.
- Students will have opportunities to develop attitudes, skills, and knowledge to understand and participate in a globally connected world.
- Students will understand what it takes to be a good citizen—one who can be civically engaged, critically-thinking, digitally literate, globally aware, and an effective communicator.
- "Being life ready means students leave high school with the grit and perseverance to tackle and achieve their goals by demonstrating personal actualization skills of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, responsible decision making, and relationship skills. Students who are life ready possess the growth mindset that empowers them to approach their future with confidence, to dream big, and to achieve big."
- Authentic assessment engages students to demonstrate skills and concepts acquired, investigated, and employed.
- Authentic assessment focuses on analytical skills, synthesizing information, integrating learning, working collaboratively, and using critical thinking skills.
- Authentic assessment provides the depth and breadth of engagement that frequently is missing with traditional forms of assessment.
- Social justice and equity begins with ourselves, our families, and our communities. In addition to creating a safe space on school grounds, we advocate for greater social justice movements in our neighborhoods, cities, state, country, and world.
- At the forefront is a strong, democratic learning community, where students are accepted for who they are as individuals, and for their passions, interests, and talents.
- Restorative justice is a solution-based rather than problem-based process which gives voice to people and focuses on healing and reconciliation. Inspired by indigenous traditions, we bring together people in a safe and respectful space, promoting dialogue, accountability, and a stronger sense of community.
- All students, parents, caregivers, staff, and community members feel valued, welcomed, and physically, psychologically, and emotionally safe.
- A proactive, supportive, and strength-based approach is employed to assist students in cultivating social and emotional skills and effective coping strategies.
- Students’ resilience assists them in overcoming any adversity and creating a hopeful future.
- Building healthy and purposeful relationships is paramount to creating a safe, supportive, and nurturing community.
- A culture of healing can reverse the effects of trauma, boost academic engagement, and promote social-emotional well-being. Social-emotional well-being is a necessary ingredient for learning.
- Creating equitable, high-quality, culturally affirming, student-directed learning environments is done with, and for the benefit of, students.
- Serving the unique needs of our students and community is never done in isolation and relies on deep partnership with students, families, and community members.
- By participating in various school committees, staff feel invested in the community and connect with peers in ways to help move the school forward. Committees provide a clear and equitable avenue for staff to have collective autonomy in decision making, which influences the success of the school.
- Every staff voice is honored and uplifted to guide our work. We operate under a flat hierarchy and expect each member to hold themselves accountable.